Monday, April 7, 2008

Seasons

'Twice the Blessing'
Watercolor on Paper, 18 x 24 in.
Actual scene during my wedding. The two girls are my nieces dressed up as fairies.

When she was just a little girl, she asked her Mama, 'What will I be?'. Will I be pretty, will I be tall? Her Mama said, 'Whatever will be, will be. The future's not ours to see.'

Now that she has a little one, she asked her Mama, 'What will he be?'. Will he be handsome, will he be smart? Her Mama said, 'The future's not ours to see. This I know, he will be a good man, because he has good parents '.

So I sing to him, "Someday you'll ask your Mama, 'What will you be?'. Will you be handsome, will you be tall?. Guess I'll just tell you, 'Whatever will be, will be. The future's not ours to see, but this I know, we'll try our best to raise you the best we can."

My mom is a great singer. Some of my fondest memories growing up was hearing her sing to us . 'Que Sera, Sera' was one of my favorites as a little girl. Through it's perky tunes, she was able to teach us one of life's greatest lesson.

No one knows what the future holds. So, seize the day.

No comments: