Thursday, April 10, 2008

Chasing Dreams

'Not Letting Go'
Watercolor on Paper, 8 x 10 in.
Purchase archival print, $19.

While in line at the cafe, I overheard an interesting conversation. 'It's time you give that up, you're not getting anywhere with it", the man said. I looked at the lady and noticed instantly how her shoulders drooped and head hung low.

She let out a sigh of surrender and said "I guess you're right, I'm chasing useless dreams." My heart ached for her, for I know something inside her died that day. Her eyes shifted with gloom and her face filled with a pale expression void of emotions.

I wanted to tell her, 'Hold on to it, never let it die. Nurture it little by little. Stride towards it one step at a time. The hurdles may be endless and coveting the prize almost impossible. But I believe someday it will come true, for every dream is worth chasing. So, hang in there. Rest, if you must. But don't quit.'

But how can I? I don't know her, she doesn't know me. It's her life and the choice is hers. A little prayer is all I can give.

That day, she reminded me 'The choice is mine'.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, how sad for her! Only someone who doesn't dream could say something like that :( I'm hanging on to mine for dear life!

Anonymous said...

you should never give up your dreams.