Saturday, March 1, 2008

The Fourth

Click on photo to buy this painting.
Acrylic on heavyweight fine art paper, 2.5 x 3.5 in.
Watermark not present on original artwork, $42.

Life turns like a wheel, my mom would often say. Sometimes you're on top, other times you're down. Either ways, she say, you win. You learn humility when you're at the bottom and cheer more when you're up. What's important is to enjoy the 'distances in between'.

While painting this piece, I contemplated on those times in my life when I ended up fourth. This is the fourth painting anyways, so let me talk about being 'fourth'.

I was an achiever early on. My parents mentored me well when I was going to school. My first taste of victory as a child was when I graduated first honor in pre-school. That was the start. It will be followed by handfuls of academic achievements over the years until I finished college as a cum laude.

Not always the first. Some years I'll end up third, fourth or just in the middle. I stumbled countless times in my attempts to be the best. I learned to get up and move on. That's the beauty of being in the 'fourth'. You're still not there, but you know you're close.

Knowing there's a chance you'll even fail teaches you to remain humble. But there's still a reason to celebrate. If you turn your back, you'll realize you progressed from being the fifth, sixth, and so on. You're still a winner.

Fourth - that beautiful 'distance in between'. Just like this piece, my pledge won't be complete without it.

Mom was right all along.

6 comments:

Tina Mammoser said...

Found your blog through Etsy! Tell your mom she's so right. :) And thanks for the reminder! I call it the 'journey' - the route from the highs to lows and back again.

Coming 4th reminds me of the "Not #1" 'zine by Artnoose on Etsy. It's in her zine Ker-Bloom 59: The Grey Ribbon Award.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for giving me inspiration everyday. I always read your blog don't you know that? keep painting and showering everybody an encouragement.I'm on my journey and it's not always up.-Jhing

Unknown said...

what beautiful work. your images are simply lovely. wonderful use of color and perspective.

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

I'm so glad I found your site. Your writing and artwork are absolutely lovely!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous work, and blog. I love reading others blogs, and I think yours will be a regular! Thanks for the inspiration!
http://preciousmemories02.blogspot.com/

Precious Quilts said...

Oh so true!!! I love your words, thank you!

Have you ever considered encaustic art? I 'discovered' it recently and find it so fascinating!

http://preciousquilts.blogspot.com