Monday, December 14, 2009

Parol, More than an Ornament


'Parol'
Watercolor on Paper © 2009.

It's that time of the year again when I can't help but miss the cheerful lights and sounds of Christmas back home. There, streets are adorned with lights as early as September and taken down the day after Valentine's day. A long festive celebration indeed.

I miss seeing the Parol. I remember making those when we were growing up. 'Parols' are ornamental star-like Christmas lanterns from the Philippines. It is traditionally made of bamboo and paper and comes in various shapes, sizes and designs.

It symbolizes the Nativity star that guided the Magi to the manger, which for me is the very essence of Christmas - the birth of Jesus. It also represents the victory of light over darkness and the Filipinos' hope and goodwill during the Christmas season.

Painting this somehow makes me feel a little closer to home.

No comments: